Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
cobbett
cobbett

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:37pm

Post Subject: Mastervolt Mains power problem - Help Please !

I have a wide beam narrow boat in France, so solutions to problems can be hard to find. I recently replaced the 3.5KVA generator on my 50hp shire engine. Since then, maybe not related, when I connect a mains power lead, or start the generator, the Mastervolt Mass Combi 12/2000-100 has a green flashing light against the power in and the inverter light comes on. But no 240 volt power to the boat or to charge the batteries. I checked the manual that says it is due to the quality of the input power. I also, as advised, changed the dip switch B number 6 to "On", but no joy. I have had a local electrician check all the connections and all okay. But the Mastervolt combi unit left him rather confused to say the least. I am rather desperate to solve this problem, as I can only get mains power through the inverter, which obvioulsy drains the batteries, which I can only charge by running the engine, help please.. David.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:48am

First of all I must make the point that not all continental power systems are the same as the UK. I understand the "earthing" arrangement may be different and just possibly the frequency. Where did you source the combi-unit. I have no use for mains on a boat so have little experience of such things but if it is a US model it is likley to be expecting a 60Hz supply or if a UK one are you sure the French supply is 50Hz. I think that you need an accurate diagram of exactly how the unit is wired to the boat and then consult Mastervolt who should know about the unit. As you say the generator is "on my 50hp Shire engine" I must assume that this is a travelpower system rather than a separate generator. These are in effect modified alternators that feed an electronic control box and it is that box that produces the mains voltage. Again we come back to where was it sourced and have you checked that its output is at the correct voltage, frequency and a nice smooth waveform. I hope that another reader will chip in with some help. I would have thought that Mastervolt would have a French distributor who could recommend someone who can sort this out. Tony Brooks

cobbett
cobbett

Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:24am

Hi Tony, Thank you for the response. You are correct it is a Travel Power unit. For the last two years I have had no problems and have used the same power sources. I have just replaced the generator unit, but did disconnect this to see if it made any difference, but it did not. So I assumed, by isolating the generator, I was removing this element from the problem, but maybe not. I am not technically able to confirm whether the output of the new generator is suitable. I am rather hoping it it just the combi unit that needs to be adjusted in some way. A French lock keeper did question whether the rust on the hull was affecting the earthing ? Anyway, if anyone else has experienced this problem their advice would be very welcome. David.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:21am

I doubt (but do not know) that this is an issue with rust on the hull. My feeling is that it is a wiring problem somewhere on the boat and that might be an earthing problem. Do you have a change over switch for the mains inputs that you have forgotten about or could there be an automatic change over system that has failed? As long as the French shoreline supply is earthed as per the UK and has similar characteristics I would expect that to work the inverter. I think it needs someone who is experienced in such equipment to visit the boat and carry out tests, hence my comments about the French Mastervolt distributor. I have heard that occasionally the large harness connecting the Travelpower to its control box can cause problems but that should not affect the shoreline. Best of luck, Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.