Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
geoffrey
geoffrey

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:45pm

Post Subject: Windows

Hi Tony, My narrowboat windows (channelglaze)have a C shaped rubber moulding covering the external fixing screws. I was surprised to find a substantial build up of rain water trapped in the extruded section that the moulding clips into.It seems that rain can leak in but has trouble draining out again. Have you come across this problem before and can you suggest a method of preventing it from happening? I am thinking of filing a notch or groove in the lowest part of the extrusion to allow any trapped water out, but what would you recommend? It concerns me that the heads of the fixing screws along the bottom of the frame are submerged in water causing corrosion to the frame. Many thanks for your attention. Nigel

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:44am

Post Subject: Windows

I have no experienced it myself because I would try to avoid that style of window. I have seen too many with large gaps where the rubber ha shrunk over the years. However you have got what you have got and need a solution. I think filing a notch, as you suggest is certainly one way but be aware that such frames are usually anodised so if you do so would destroy the anodising in that section and just might allow the aluminium to oxidise. It need to be fine work so perhaps a Dremel type tool may be better than a file. You could consider masking up ether said of the slot and then fit the rubber into a thin bed of clear silicone sealer. The masking is to allow you to pull the surplus sealer off before it has cured. Sorry I do not have a definitive answer. What do Channelglaze say? How old is the rubber? Perhaps it has hardened and new softer section would seal. Tony Brooks PS - Try making sure the join in the section is at the bottom and leave a very small gap to allow the water to drain out.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.52 seconds.