Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tony75...
Tony75...

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:50pm

Post Subject: Electrics

I have a Lister SR2 and a 35 amp alternator and a Sterling Universal Advanced Digital 4 Step Regulator Pro Mariner battery management system. I also have a Sterling 1800 inverter. My batteries ( 3 > 125 Ah ) need replacing. What is the best combination to replace them with. Also, what is the highest capacity alternater without changing the pulley system I can install and what battery set up could I then use ? Thanks, Tony

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:06am

Post Subject: Electrics

An SR2 could use two different types of drive belt so I can only advise for the smaller section one. I would not fit anything larger than a 70 amp alternator to one of the thinner section belts. It is just as important to get the pulley ratio correct because your engine is low revving and I think the alternator is driven from the camshaft that turns at half engine speed. You probably need the smallest pulley you can find. You will need to make sure the pulley is the correct one for the belt profile. I do not understand the "best combination" bit. Are you wanting to mix battery sizes, mix battery types, or asking about capacity? The BSS has requirements for securing batteries so unless you want a lot of work the best size is probably the same as you now have. The best type is open to question. If you have the ability to keep the bank 100% fully charged for most of the time (which you will not without a mains charger) then 2v deep cycle/traction cells would probably be most cost effective in the very long term but that would require a completely new storage system and assiduous maintenance. A 1.kW inverter and a 35 amp alternator suggests to me the batteries probably spend most of their time well discharged - especially with only a 35 amp alternator - so you will kill and battery in a relatively short time, There is no point in buying expensive batteries that you will destroy so ordinary wet, open cell batteries are probably the most cost effective. Another point is that the management system may produce a voltage high enough to make the batteries gas and dry out. This also suggests the open cell battery because you can top them up. I can not make any comment upon capacity until I see your power audit and charging calculations as explained in either set of notes on tb-training.co.uk. Looking at the data you give leads me to think that you may be trying to solve "flat battery" problems and at a guess it seems that your domestic electrical demand may be too large for the time you run the engine each day. The charging calculations will answer that. I am also slightly concerned that you do not mention a starting battery. One of those 135Ah batteries may be the engine start battery and if so it really should be one designed for starting BUT if I am right about an imbalance in your discharge and charge then dual purpose batteries will do because you will be killing them before they run out of cyclic life. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.