Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
bob2skip...
bob2skip...

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:59pm

Post Subject: Route from the Ribble to the river Humber

Hi Canal Boat. My boat is a Colvic Watson 26' 9' beam, 4' draft and a out the water hight of 8'. We want to take her through the canal system from the River Ribble to the Humber. I have some of the dimensions of the depth and hight restrictions. The possible route would be, River Ribble and onto the Ribble link across the Leeds and liverpool meeting up with Selby or Aire and Caulder Navigation. and out through the River Humber. Our actual destination is Brightling sea on the black water, so if the fore mentioned route is not suitable, there could be other routes. Thanks

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:48pm

I can not help because I boat down south and I think it is recognised that BW dimensions are not the most accurate. I have two main concerns related to this route when on the canal sections. Most narrowboats have a draft of around the 2ft with ex working boats and similar drawing 3ft to 3ft 6 inches and they have problems at times. That extra 6 inches could well make all the difference. The other thing is the air draft because most narrowboats will have an air draft of 5 to 6 ft so the extra 2ft may well again cause problems. You need someone with good local knowledge to tell you the actual situation. I would suggest that you ask on the Canal World web forum. Unless you want to face Lands End or the Caledonian Canal I suspect you may be looking at a lorry move. At least at 26ft virtually any flatbed should be suitable. Please will any northern boaters chip in and help. Tony Brooks

bob2skip...
bob2skip...

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:41pm

Hi Tony Brooks. Thanks for the information and looking at my thread. I am very suspect and aware of the dimension or rather the lack of air height and keel depth. If any experience canal users in the area mentioned, could they give me their verdict on the matter. Thanks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.