Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Alicat08...
Alicat08...

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:21am

Post Subject: removing scratches

i'm part of a boat-share syndicate and over the winter we had the boat repainted.. i took it out last week and due to a combination of a narrow bridge on a bend,someone coming the other way I ended up in a tree and have scatched the paint quite badly. I have the opportunity to repair the scratches... what's the best way??

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:49pm

Post Subject: removing scratches

First of all I am no paint expert so it may be wise to email the editor and ask him to get our paint expert to reply. However this may take a while. The paint may well still be soft and if so the tree may have done far more damage than it would later on. If the scratches are more marks in the topcoat than scratches then it is possible the careful use of car rubbing compound, followed by Tcut, and then a good wax polish may do the trick. If they are through to bare metal you need to touch up with primer and then then undercoat and top coat but you need to ensure you do not put too thick a layer of paint on each time and you must ensure it has the required drying time (instructions on can) between coats. Lightly abrade each coat with (say) 600 grit wet and dry abrasive paper. If the primer or under coat is not damaged then start the process from the undamaged coat. Build up the surface with paint layers until it is slightly proud of the original surface and then rub back level with the wet and dry, finishing with rubbing compound, Tcut and wax polish. I very much doubt that you will effect an invisible repair though. Best of luck, Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.