Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ray
Ray

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:02am

Post Subject: Stern hand rail finish

Hi, I have a Cruiser style stern NB and the wooden hand rail needs freshening up by revarnishing or other protection. A passing boater recommended a product called "Sikkens" as a very effective finish, but there is quite a range of products and I'm struggling to decide which one is best for this job. Have any of CB's experts got any advice on what to use? Regards, Ray Fairwood.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:55pm

Post Subject: Stern hand rail finish

I think they probably mean Sikkens finish for exterior wood that is guaranteed for (I think) 5 years. It is produces a micro-porous film so the wood can still breath and rid itself of water vapour. It is a good finish, but I do not know if they do it in clear. Other options are an oil finish where once the wood has all the varnish scraped off and is sanded and cleaned it is treated with a number of coats of special oil like teak oil that soaks in and protects the wood. It then needs a clean down and reapplying every year but as no scraping of varnish like coatings are required it is relatively a quick job. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.