Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
chrisj...
chrisj...

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:28pm

Post Subject: Non slip paint finish

What is the best way to achieve a non-slip paint finish on the gunwhales of my narrowboat?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:28am

Post Subject: Non slip paint finish

The traditional/normal way is to apply the paint system as normal but while the penultimate coat is still wet sprinkle fine sand over it. Once the paint is dry brush off all the excess sand and apply the final coat of paint. You may wish to apply more then one coat overcoat. I find rubbing the sand/paint combination down is difficult and I an a little unsure about its effect on little knees and its longevity so have used Protectacote on my gunwales, roof, and front cockpit. This has ground up rubber particles in it to give the non-slip surface. The downside is that when the paint wears off the rubber granules the tips show black. This is OK for dark colours but can make lighter colours look dirty. I scrub my gunwales down with Sotchbright pads and sugarsoap every year or so and give them another coat of ordinary gloss paint to keep them looking clean. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.