Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
al031i8737
al031i8737

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:40pm

Post Subject: water tank

how does one purge the tank.i have brown water coming through?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:14am

First of all it would help if we knew what sort of tank you have. I could be a mild steel tank that uses the hull as some of its walls, a separate tank made from mild steel, stainless steel, plastic, or a rigid tank with a flexible liner. I can only guess that the brown water means that you have a mild steel tank, probably part of the boat and that it has gone rusty. First of all open the taps and put the water pump on to pump all the water out of the tank. Have the engine running at fast idle while you do this so it keeps the batteries charged. Next locate the access to the tank. This could be a trap screwed/bolted down forming part of the front cockpit floor (again an assumption this is a narrowboat) or via a large lift up trap just behind the front T stud but there are so many variations in boat design your may be somewhere else. Get access to the tank and get plenty of protective gear, this is going to get messy! Sponge out the remaining water and dry the tank. Remove all the loose rust and any loose blacking. Ideally get all the rust off so the steel is silver but I doubt you will be able. Make sure all the dust is out of the tank and the surfaces dry. At this point some people treat the rusty areas with Vactan or some other rust killer that is suitable for use in potable water tanks. More do not. When that has dried start to re-black ten tank with either a bitumen blacking that states it is the for use in potable water tanks or one of the special coatings now available. Follow the instructions as per the number of coats but leave lots of time between coats so the product has enough time to cure. The confined nature of the tank is likely to slow the process down. Leave to stand and as well ventilated as you can for a good period, ideally a week or more but at least a couple of days. Replace and screw down cover making sure it is well sealed and refill the tank. I would let it stand over night and then empty it again and refill because the first few fills may have a taint in the water. Having got cleaned up and rusted contemplate ongoing procedures every few years. If yours is not a mild steel tank come back because I will need to explain how to sterilise it. Some people fit a water filter like the General Ecology one that is claimed to make canal water drinkable so it should remove the brown. But these are only used on one small outlet at the cost of ongoing cartridge replacements.

al031i8737
al031i8737

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:01pm

thanks tony, sorry to be so vague but ihave only had the boat for 1 month.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:51pm

Thats OK, I guessed that you were in the steep learning curve part of boat owning. TB

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.