Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
larambuk
larambuk

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:11pm

Post Subject: Instant gas water heaters

Hi we are currently in the process of planning our next boat. On our current one we have a rinnai instant heater which runs of gas. All the new boats that we look at don't seem to have these anymore. We find ours invaluable in the summer when don't wat to run our diesel heating or wait for the engine to heat up the calorifier. Can we still have this type of gas instant heater on a new boat. Gareth williams

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:14am

Post Subject: Instant gas water heaters

Unless you are building/fitting out yourself under the 5 year and no resale rule then your new boat will have to conform to the Recreational Craft Directive and that requires adherence to a whole raft of ISO regulations. I do not have access to the ISOs because they cost a awful lot of money but it would not surprise me if they did not, in effect, ban such heaters because they are not sealed appliances. There is one expensive variety that is sealed but it requires mains electricity (so thats an inverter) and the flue length requirement may make it difficult to fit. As far as the Boat Safety Scheme is concerned you are allowed them BUT the Gasafe/CORGI codes of practise ban their personnel from fitting them. If the boat is to be used to live on long term then it is possible that the newer gas in houses regulations may play a part. I do not like the things having spent far too many hours on the fleet trying to get them to work effectively so my solution is a calorifier heated by the engine or an Alde gas boiler. You may well get a far better shower without the restriction of such a heater in the hot water flow. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.