Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
theshawz
theshawz

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:47pm

Post Subject: Alternator ?

Hi There. When I start my BMC 1.8 there is a tinny rattling and the RPM needle does not react fully. After revving the engine for about 5 seconds the needle shows the correct revs and the rattling stops.It also now occurs when I use the inverter and try to use 240v, again it produces a rattle. I think it comes from the alternator. Is it on its way out or can something be replaced. Your thoughts would be most appreciated as I have plans for a cruise next week. Thanks Terry.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:39pm

Post Subject: Alternator ?

Although I can not reconcile "rattle" with the typical symptoms this has all the hallmarks of a loose and slipping alternator belt. Whenever there is a high load on it (discharged batteries or high electrical demand) it may slip. There are alternator pulleys around that are fabricated from sheet steel. These have been known to flex and crack under high loads and that might cause a rattle as may a fraying alternator belt. Have a really good look at the belt and pulley. On the information you give this is the most likley cause. If it was early alternator failure it would be unlikely that it would suddenly and consistently "cure" itself. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.