Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
blokeee@t
blokeee@t

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:12am

Post Subject: Diesel filler sealant

Will need to remove my filler neck to fit a security device, what is the right sealant to use when fitting as it will have to be diesel proof to avoid being affected by any spills or just the fumes. Is a standard black silicon ok?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55am

Post Subject: Diesel filler sealant

I will assume that this is a narrowboat with a "flush" filler plug mounted directly into the top of the tank. OF far more importance than making it diesel proof in the need to make it waterproof to prevent any rain etc finding its way into the tank so you need to seal the securing screws as well. I would hope that its sits on a neoprene gasket but if not the silicon should be fine but I am afraid that I can not recall seeing black silicon. I can recall seeing black mastic and I think diesel would attack that over a period of time. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.57 seconds.