Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
angelika
angelika

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:09pm

Post Subject: Increasing head height

Hello - after some searching we've found a great trad stern narrow boat, only thing is that it's about 2 cm too low for my 6ft something partner. Is it possible to lower the flooring, for instance the ply sub flooring is about 2cm and the oak floor is another 1 cm. Could you replace the sub flooring with a thinner material, or have no sub flooring at all? Thanks for any information!

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:16pm

Post Subject: Increasing head height

First of all this is not normally a trivial job because in most narrowboats the fixed furniture and fittings are built on top of the floor. You may be lucky and have all removable flooring but I rather doubt it. It sounds as if your floor (what you call a sub floor) is in 3/4" ply or possibly OSB board or similar and the possibility of replacing it with something thinner depends upon the distance between the sporting structures. If you can afford it AND work it I suppose 5 or 6mm steel sheet may do but then you have to protect it against rust and stick an acceptable covering to it. I very much doubt it is practical. If the supports are close together then maybe 12mm ply would do but I would expect it to flex when a six footer walked on it. I am over 6ft tall and I do have to duck when walking down the side passage but there is plenty of headroom over most of the cabin width. You could certainly get rid of the oak but I expect that is one of the attractive features. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.