Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
johnkfm...
johnkfm...

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:05am

Post Subject: widebeam boats

As I am new to the canal I ask the question. Am I correct in thinking that I can not sale a boat from London to the Lancaster Canal if the boat is 10 foot wide. Neither canal barge nor cruiser.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:36am

You are correct as far as a wholly inland route is concerned. The midland canals limit you to a nominal 6ft 10" beam. Tony Brooks

johnkfm...
johnkfm...

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:47am

Following on from my first post - it looks as though the only escape from the south to the north is via the Great Ouse river or the river Nene, across the Wash and joining the northern section of canals by the Grand Sluice at Boston. Is crossing the Wash a possibility (for a novice)in a 35 or 45 foot cruiser, or even a 50/60 foot canal boat?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:44pm

There is no inland route to the Ouse or Nene for anything with a beam wider then a nominal 6'10" because the Northampton arm (GU to Nene) is a narrow waterway. The only way is on a lorry or via the Thames Estuary and haven hop around Essex, Norfolk & Suffolk to the wash and in via Boston. I think it would be grossly irresponsible for you to even consider that option unless you KNOW your craft and crew are suitable for such a voyage. Please check the maximum length the Leeds and Liverpool canal allows for both wide beam and narrow beam craft. I know BW say it is limited to (I think) about 45ft for wide beam craft and 57ft for narrow boat - but check. I am on holiday at the moment so do not have good internet access to check for you. See www.Waterscape.com. Boats crossing the Wash normally pay for a pilot which you would pick up in Kings Lyn (assuming a narrowboat down the Northampton arm.) You also need to see the maximum dimensions for the Savill Brook which is part of the Ribble link to the Lancaster canal. If your boat is too deep or too large for that you would need another Haven hop down the Ribble estuary and up the coast to Glasson dock. If you are a novice then it is not on. Either go by lorry or buy a boat up there. Tony Brooks

johnkfm...
johnkfm...

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:12pm

Thank you Tony - the answer does seem to be on the back of a lorry. JK

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.