Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
blavster...
blavster...

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:04am

Post Subject: BMC 1.5 casting hole plugs

Hi Tony, One of the plugs that goes in the holes (I think from the casting of the engine)in the waterjacket around my BMC 1.5 has rusted through in the corner. I mangaged a temporary fix with metaly apoxy,which got me back home, but its started leaking again. Any idea how to get the knackered one out, and where I might be able to get a replacement? Cheers,Ben

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:49pm

Post Subject: BMC 1.5 casting hole plugs

First you need to decide if it is a core plug with a shallow outward dish and a dent in the middle or a welch plug with is a cup shaped thing where you can see the ends of the cup sides". The easiest way to remove them is to carefully drill a hole through them (do not dill through the cylinder as well!), put a screwdriver or rod through the hole and lever them out. You then need to carefully measure the diameter of the hole so you know the size to ask for. Try Calcutt Boats, Thronycroft/AMC, or ASAP Supplies. I note PB Mechanical Services also advertise BMC parts. If it is a core plug I would clean out the hole and the land the plug fits against, apply a smear of jointing compound to the sides of the hole, insert the plug with the dish outwards and then flatten the dish with the ball of a ball peen hammer. If it is a welch plug smear the sides with jointing and the using a piece of wood or something tap it square into the hole. Do not tap it too far or it will fall through. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.