Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
canals
canals

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:40pm

Post Subject: propeller whine

I have a 57ft n/b witha yanmar 2000 engine, aqua drive and 18x12x1.5 rh propeller with standard stern greaser. I recentley hit something hard and as a result buckled one of the propeller fins I have had this replaced with a new propeller of the same size but since then I have a high pitched whine just after tickover speed is reached and reving up and again when reducing back to tick over, I have checked the stern greaser and tightened the stern adjustment nuts could this mean a new shaft and or bearings, I would appreciate your expert oppinion

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:43am

Post Subject: propeller whine

Dear Anthony, Once we get into this sort of problem it sometimes looks as if black magic is required. However a recent thread on this exact subject concerning a new prop was started so have a look on http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showt opic=15224 As I understand it and because it is a new prop its related to harmonic vibration from the prop so if you do something to make each blade vibrate at a very slightly different frequency the sound goes. The thread suggest slightly deforming each blade with an adjustable spanner or I will add wait until you have put a few knicks in the blade. Please take time to read the thread above. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.