Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
AnnieB63...
AnnieB63...

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:19am

Post Subject: Cruising to Cambridge

Hi, I would like to cruise to Cambridge but I am concerned that my engine may not be strong enough for the bigger rivers, the only ones I've been on are the churnet and cherwell. I have asked quite a few people over the years and had a different answer from each of them. My boat is 45ft and has a beta marine 28hp engine.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:22am

First of all I must ask any of our readers who are familiar with the route to give their opinion, especially around Denver Sluice. I have 54ft boat with a 33 ish HP engine and was perfectly happy last week on the upper Thames with very tight bends and a very strong stream running bing, however years working on the river has taught me how to read the stream, but even then I got caught at one lock landing. This was not a dangerous incident, just mildly embarrassing. If your prop is not well matched to your boat/engine/gearbox then it may give less trust then the engine HP implies. I would say (in the absence of more comments) that it will be perfectly safe to do it but it may be a better idea to wait for a dryer summer or at least for maybe a fortnight without rain in the area because flows are probably as high on the Fens as they are on the Thames. Learn the river way of doing things like always moor facing up stream. Never position the upstream end of the boat angled away from the bank (you get twisted across the flow if you do). Always ask and take any lock kepers advice, especially at Denver. Tie up with long lines angled well away from the boat to allow for a rise or fall in level and so on. Whenever preparing for a long journey on rivers make sure you carry and anchor and also make sure your fuel system is in good order with no water in the bottom of the tank. Tony Brooks

AnnieB63...
AnnieB63...

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:58pm

thanks for the info, is there a way to find out if my prop is compatible with the engine/gearbox?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:41am

Fist off an apology, my answer should read thrust, not trust. I am very aware that in this litigious age there is a possibility of either myself or the magazine getting sued if things go wrong - or worse still being attacked by the HSE so I take care to try to cover myself. Hence the engine-gearbox-prop comment. I have no way of knowing how likley there is to be a significant mismatch between those items and can not even make an informed guess because you give no details about the age of the boat, how long you have had it, who built it and fitted it out, and the previous history. If the boat will exceed the speed limit on a wide canal with some more throttle movement in hand then it is probably OK but I can not be sure. There is also the question of the cooling system. Many canal boats have undersized skin tanks causing them to overheat when run for long periods at higher speeds on rivers. All you can do is to be aware and keep an eye on your temperature gauge if one is fitted or go to a river (when they have settled down a bit) and do a long high speed test run. If it does overheat try running all the domestic hot water off if you have a calorifier or putting the central heating pump on - again if you have one - so heat is drawn from the calorifier. My gut feeling is that if you take note of what I said you will be fine but I can not know for certain. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.