Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Horrol
Horrol

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:59am

Post Subject: Prop Shaft Greasing

I think that's what I mean!! I'm very new to this and have been told to screw down the "grease screw" in the engine compartment after each day's running. How do I go about refilling/replacing the used grease??? Hope someone can help. Kevin

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:20pm

Post Subject: Prop Shaft Greasing

First buy a tin of stern tube grease. Most chandlers sell it and a common one is Morris's K99. You can probably use something like Castrol LM as well but it may be not so water resistant. The tin will have a disk on top of the grease with a hole in it. Unscrew the greaser tube from the BOTTOM so you end up with the tube in your hand with the T piece still screwed right down. Put the open end of the tube over the hole in the disk that is in the can and apply moderate downward pressure while you unscrew the T handle. This will force grease up into the greaser. Refit the tube and wipe any surplus from around the tube base. Job Done. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.35 seconds.