Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
barneymb
barneymb

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:35pm

Post Subject: I can smell gas from our combi boiler and the flame is yellow. Does this mean theres a leak?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:54pm

Post Subject: I can smell gas from our combi boiler and the flame is yellow. Does this mean theres a leak?

This is the first time I have heard of a combi-boiler on a boat. I would have thought the water wasted whilst you wait for it to flow hot would be too great. I am not qualified to advise on gas equipment nowadays but I believe your boat is potentially lethal on two counts. First yellow flames means incomplete combustion and the production of carbon monoxide - a poisonous gas. A true combi-boiler should have a balanced flue so all the gasses should be vented to the outside but although carbon monoxide has no smell yellow flames can produce an acrid smell so I am wondering about the integrity of the flue or how close it is to a window or vent. If it really is a gas smell then you have a leak and as LPG is heavier than air it will sink into the bilge of the boat where it will build up. Eventually the concentration will reach a point that any spark etc. will produce a very loud and destructive bang. One further thought. Many combi-boilers have a mains powered fan to provide combustion air. How is this provided on a boat and has your inverter shut down for any reason. Please isolate the boiler immediately and seek urgent advice from a Gassafe certified engineer endorsed for LPG work in caravans & boats. I have a horrible feeling he may have to condom the installation because of the Gassafe codes of practise but that depends upon information I do not have, just be prepared. This is urgent. Tony Brooks. PS Are you sure it is not a smell from your toilet, they can smell very similar to gas.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.