Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
mark63
mark63

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:16am

Post Subject: tiller

Hi I have just bought a narrow boat and the tiller is siezed solid I have tried the brute approach it does not have a grease gland what would be the best way to free it outside of a dry dock?,also the BETA 43 engine turns 180 deg then sticks could this be a simple vale or would you recomend a strip down the engine has only done 700 hours

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:41pm

OK, so you have no history for the symptoms and presumably no service and maintenance history for the boat so anything I say must be highly speculative. My suspicion is that the tiller either has a seized upper bearing if one is fitted or the rudder has been sat on a cill and the rudder stock badly bent. If you can see a bearing housing screwed onto the back of the boat where the rudder stock rises through the deck then, depending upon the exact design, you may be able to remove the tiller swan neck and remove the bearing assembly. However tie a rope through the hole in the rudder so if you pull it out of the cup on the skeg you can easily retrieve it. If for some reason the gearbox is stuck in a gear then a bent rudder could foul the propeller and prevent the engine turning over and with a 2:1 gearbox reduction that might give you half a turn on the engine. Have a look and feel down the weed-hatch to see if there is any signs of rudder or prop damage. Otherwise make sure the starter battery is fully charged and in good order and try again. If it is the same try removing the glowplugs in case water has found its way into the cylinders. Blow it out by spinning the engine. It could also be carbon having fallen off an exhaust valve is now jammed under a valve seat so the piston is hitting the valves. If it is then that valve will have far more clearance than the rest. If this is the case then I suspect you need to get the cylinder head off. Tony Brooks

mark63
mark63

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:33am

Hi Tony Thanks for that I do suspect the rudder has just rusted in? the boat may have been sat on the river bed but it is soft mud so I dont think the stock is bent,what do you think about a chain block on the rudder itself? as there is no bearing on the rudder I am at a loss as to how I get lubrication in there ( a poor design me thinks),thank you for your advice it is greatly recieved, I think I may take the engine out and strip it anyways it will be cheaper than a replacement I will post after I have dry docked and the boat is all running thank you again Kind Regards Mark

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:31am

You have still not given me details about your boat. By all means try a block and tackle but take care you do not bend the tiller or snap a weld. Personally I doubt it will free it enough if you are correct the stock is rusted into the tube but its worth a try. There are several different rudder designs. Most probably have a removable swan neck that allows the rudder to be removed downwards and it can be done in the water. Others need the blade removing from the stock so the stock comes upwards, yet others have little couplings on the stock under the water. Please do not strip the engine until you try spinning it with the glowplugs removed. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.40 seconds.