Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
avontrader
avontrader

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:08pm

Post Subject: leaking water tank

thanks for your reply.I will try and explain. After filling the water tank which is located in the bow .Left for a week and upon return tank empty and water extracted by bilge pump at the stern. The outlet pipe leading to the pump is definitely not leaking and one would presume because the water has dropped to such a low lever it would be a tank leak rather than a breathing pipe or overflow pipe.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:49pm

With that further piece of information I agree with you that it is a low level leak. However it could be in the feed pipe to the pump or one of the fittings on that pipe. You may be able to gain access to the pipe side of the tank by removing the furniture/lining on one side of the boat. My boat has a three section lining under the front bulkhead with the outer sections being cupboards and the centre one a plywood sheet behind the steps. If you have a sheet behind the step(s) you may gain enough access to allow a better inspection with a mirror and torch but I expect it will all have to come out to get the tank out. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:51pm

The valves in the water pump only stop water running back into the tank, they may well allow water to run out of the tank so your leak could be in the plumbing at a low level and if it is on the pump inlet side the pump would not run more frequently. You should have a shut off valve on the delivery pipe very close to the tank. Turn this right off and fill the tank. If the tank drains then the problem is on the tank side of the valve. If it does not then the leak is on the plumbing. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.