Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tracyb
Tracyb

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:14pm

Post Subject: Sealant

Hiya,i have a steel hull,grp roof and im not sure what the cabin sides are made of..its not steel,and its not wooden but it is a sheet material. anyway my problem areas are where the roof comes down over the cabin sides, overhang of about 2 inches and where the cabin sides join the gunhaules. water is gaining access in both these ares. What would you recommend i use to stop this. At the moment on the cabin sides to gunhaules looks like a mastic type sealant but is very old and has come away drastically. Appreciate your help.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:58pm

Whatever you do it is only likely to be a very temporary repair. It should be impossible for water to run uphill between the roof and cabin-side joint so I suspect there may be horizontal joints in the rook or vertical joints in the side panels that are leaking. The proper way to solve it (assuming the cabin sides and roof are in good condition) is to take the roof off so you can get sealer right up through the joint. If you simply seal below the overhang then you will trap any teaer that is finding its way into the joint by other means that may then build up (because it can not escape) and leak worse than it is now. The steel gunwales should have an upstand all the way around it (a bit like the reverse of the roof) with the side panels sat outside it. In this way any water that gets under the panel edges should not be able to run uphill. If there is no upstand or if it has rusted through in places then it will be very difficult to cure the leaks. I know it is costly and inconvenient but I fear my best advice is to have a steel top fitted, anything else is just a bodge. I very much doubt it is worth buying one of the Sikaflex products to try to effect a seal so I would go for ordinary builders exterior mastic - NOT silicon sealer.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:13am

PS, I have been having a think about this. The most likely point on a GRP roof for leaks is where the handrails screw through the roof. If the fixings loosen or the hand rail rots or softens then they do leak and the water may well trickle down the underside of the roof and look as if it id the roof - cabin side joint that is leaking. Likewise windows can leak through their fixing holes or between the frames and cabin side. If your sides have an inner and outer skin then water can run down the inside of the outer skin and make it look as if the cabin side - gunwale joint is leaking. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.59 seconds.