Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tracyb
Tracyb

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:29pm

Post Subject: heating

Hiya,is there a particular antifreeze and inhibitor that i should use. im running three radiators threw the back boiler of my stove and also an eberspacher. Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:03pm

If there is no antifreeze in there at present then any car type antifreeze will be fine. There is a very faint chance that it may have modern poly-ethylene glycol based antifreeze in it but from your other question the boats seems old so we can discount it. Once again any car antifreeze will do but if it did happen to have the modern, less toxic stuff then it should not be mixed with ordinary antifreeze because one will then shed their corrosion inhibitors. Tony Brooks

Tracyb
Tracyb

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:37pm

Thanks Tony for your advice with both my questions,with regards to the heating,the antifreeze mix, should it be half antifreeze and half water. There is no antifreeze in it at the mo. As for the leaks, yes im sure my handrails are a source of leaks which i am hoping to sort when we have some dry weather, good luck with that eh! Thanks for your help. T

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:07pm

Most heating equipment manufacturers say a 30% mixture so mix it 3:1. If you go above 50% then the liquid will carry less heat (its to do with how much heat water and antifreeze can carry)so 50% is the maximum. Most heating systems (and engines come to that) get topped up with water so the antifreeze mixture is being diluted. Probably the most important thing antifreeze does is inhibit corrosion so that get reduced as you dilute the mixture. I advise a 50% mixture to start with so by the time it gets to 30% it is time to change the antifreeze again. Also strong antifreeze mixtures are good at finding very small weeps. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.84 seconds.