Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Woody1
Woody1

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:01pm

Post Subject: Water Tank - new

We have just acquired a narrowboat that has had a whole new front end built. There is a steel plate in the bow deck. I am told that below this plate I will find the water tank ! I presume the mild steel compartment below this plate which incidentally has 60 screws to hold it down ! is the water tank. If so I need to clean and paint the tank and then seal the plate. I presume marine sealant for the plate but can you advise what I paint the inside of the with ? Many thanks. Ps as you guessed a newbie......

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:19pm

The usual procedure is to dry the tank, disk and scrape of all the loose rust, treat rusted area with something like Vactan/Fertan, black with two or three coats of potable bitumen paint allowing the paint to dry well between coats and scrubbing into the rust pits. Once the final coat is dry leave the tank ventilated for several days, then fit & seal the lid and fill with water. You may get a taint for the first few tank fulls so take bottles for drinking. A few people recommend cement washing as done on big ships but I think a few bounces off lock sides etc could knock the cement wash off. If you want to be free from the two to four yearly chore you can bet flexible bladders to go inside the tank area. Tony Brooks

Woody1
Woody1

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:11am

Tony thanks for reply I will follow your advice. Apologies for tardy reply - family death and missing father with altzheimers combined with hols - a busy few weeks with little done on the boat :-)

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.