Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Exmayor
Exmayor

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:58pm

Post Subject: Idling problem on Honda outboard

My Honda engine circa 1995 will run but not tick over. The fault suddenly occurred. I've cleaned all the jets, wdeed the contacts on the CDI unit, checked the filters etcat it still, won't idle. Help please as what Summer we may have will son be gone. Thanks Mike

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:25pm

Some of the large outboards require computer equipment to diagnose them but if yours is a smaller one then change the plug(s). Then make sure the earth for the CDI unit is clean and tight. After that you need to look in the manual to see how to adjust the idle mixture and speed. Finally once you are sure the mixture and plug are in good order you may have a faulty CDI unit, valve clearance problems (I assume it is a four stroke being a Honda) or an internal fault. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:26pm

PS if it only does it when hot it could be lack of cooling water - does a jet come out of the telltale on the back of the engine?

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.