Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
angelika
angelika

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:54pm

Post Subject: Viking Boats

Hello - we're seriously considering buying a Viking widebeam sail away. Does anyone know how these compare to UK built boats? The price is a lot lower, does this come at the expense of quality? Would be great to get some opinions!

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:29am

I have no direct knowledge of that particular company but would make some observations. First of all you say "sail away" so who is going to fit it out. If it is yourselves then how many years have you allowed and are your costings realistic? Unless you have done it before most people very badly under-estimate both counts. Secondly have you through the implications of building to the Recreational Craft Directive (Mandatory if there is the slightest chance you may have to sell it within 5 years). The company displays two logos from trade organisations on its website which is a good thing but please confirm their membership with the organisations themselves because it has been far from unknown for such displays to be not quiet what they seem. Next some general thoughts about buying new but it is vital that you do not take them as necessarily applying to this particular company. Over the years I have seen far too many builders suddenly going broke and their customers loosing thousands so make sure your money will be in an escrow account until your full acceptance or you only pay a small deposit with the vast majority of the money only being paid on handover. If you accept stage payments make sure what you pay for is clearly shown on the invoice and all such materials are clearly labelled as your own and paid for (not sure how you will do this in Poland though). As this is basically a shell and engine that you are buying there is less scope for RCD/Boat Safety Scheme problems that have been known to affect some builders, however make sure that you are supplied with all the paperwork you will need to certify the boat is RCD compliant when complete - even if you fit out under the "no sale within 5 years clause" so do not have to comply. On a more positive note I looked over another company's Polish built boat a few years ago and was impressed by the finishing and wiring, however as your is to be a sailaway this may not be relevant. PLEASE WILL READERS WITH VIKING BOTS COMMENT. Tony Brooks

Robert
Robert

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:53am

We had a 57 foot VCB narrow boat delivered this April and we have been happy both with the build, the boat and VCB. We think that we got good value for the money. The build went well - finished ahead of time and to a slightly higher spec, they were helpful, tried to build what we asked for unless they really thought it would not work. The support aftewards has also been good. If I would make any comments about the build it would be to make sure that you visit the VCB in Poland during the build. There is the forum on the VCB website where you can make contact with other boat owners which I found useful both before we placed the order and during the build. Would we have our 3rd boat built with VCB, yes however I would agree with Tony above - before we part with any money we would check and double check, both with other owners and online as company circumstances change all the time. Robert nb Blue Iris

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.