Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
DownesKew
DownesKew

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:26pm

Post Subject: Toilet smell on Thames and valve question

Hello! My husband and I are new to the Thames where we are renting a 45ft narrowboat. The problem has been a powerful smell of poo (no better way of putting it, sorry!) in the bed end of the boat. It's the style that has a deck on each end and a double(ish!!) bed bunk by the side of the walkway. Our landlady has basically said that you'll never get rid of the smell 'entirely' but if all boats smelled like this I really don't think anyone would live on one... The loo has been taken out and refitted and apparently there's now a valve that pushes waste straight out rather than into a tank. Landlady clearly doesnât know what else to do to it and weâd like to be able to stay so throwing it out to anyone who will listen ï Really can't understand what still smells so bad! It's coming from underneath the bed so you can imagine it is quite unpleasant to say the least. Other things that I thought may be of note? Loo only properly sucks out water at low tide, not sure if that might suggest a lack of suction/pump. Help would be v gratefully received - currently have the gap at end of bed stuffed with lounge cushions to try and make it bearable! Thanks, Sarah

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:11pm

Well, I can't help much without far more information like where the toilet is located relative to the bed, what type of toilet system was it before she had "the valve" fitted and exactly what is that "valve"? A toilet that passes its waste into the water is known as a sea toilet and they are designed for the job. If she has had an existing holding tank toilet system modified without and extra pumps I am not surprised it will only empty properly when the boat is presumably high and dry or at least aground in shallow water. Toilets known as macerator toilets have a centrifugal "pump" in them that will not work well if required to work into pressure, as it may well have to with the boat afloat. A very common place to locate a holding tank is under a bed so maybe the tank is still there, perhaps it is leaking, perhaps a hose or pipe has been removed without capping the hole so the residue in the tank is producing a smell that can escape. If it is a plastic tank then maybe the smell is permeating through the plastic. There is special sanitation grade hose for use in toilet systems because smell can and will permeate through any ordinary hose and given enough time it would do the same to sanitation hose, especially of the hose was of lower quality or is run in such a way that effluent lies in the hose. I really needs someone who knows about such things to come and inspect the boat. Do you have a cat? If so has it brought a mouse home that has crawled under the bed to die and is now rotting? Tony Brooks

DownesKew
DownesKew

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:10am

Dear Tony, Thanks for the reply - you might not think you could be much use without knowing more details but it definitely was. Correct - tank under bed, and my suspicion is that something is leaking / has leaked. The outlet for the loo now is coming out next to the bilge pump (which smelled pretty nasty last night too!). Next step is to get my neighbour who used to live on the boat to come in and compare smells from when he was there. Then it's back to the landlady with menaces! Many thanks again, Sarah

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.