Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
theoldgoat
theoldgoat

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:53pm

Post Subject: Pump out toilets

On a recent trip i was advised by a fellow boater that to assist with the breakdown of solid waste into a liquid form all that was needed was a daily input of mixture of brewers yeast mixed with brown sugar and a dash of lemon juice, Is there any truth in this 'tale'

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:40pm

Post Subject: Pump out toilets

The idea is that the yeast will create a biological system that breaks down the solids much in the way it is done in a sewerage farm. I know many boaters use yeast but I ahve never heard about teh sugar but this would only feed the yeast. However I think that you need to encourage aerobic bacteria and discourage the anaerobic ones that cause the smell. This needs plenty of tank ventilation as well. I can only suppose the lemon juice is used to work on any lime scale. Personally I think you would be better off using one of the biological tank treatments that contain the type of bugs you want plus nutrients. IF you are using conventional blue then no biological system can be created until all traces of the blue have been flushed from the tank. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.34 seconds.