Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
theoldgoat
theoldgoat

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:58pm

Post Subject: Rudder Clunk

Whilst cruising forward I have notice a dull thud/lunk on the tiller when moving the tilerarm to starboard. This only happens at medium revs and not when travelling a slow speed or tick over. There is a similar clunk/thud when moving the tiller back to the centre or but nothing when moving to port. Any clues

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:46pm

Assuming the stock has not lifted out of the skeg I suspect a worn upper bearing or locating hole/cup in the skeg. On certain rudder deigns, mainly Liverpool Boats it could be a loose blade (check via the weedhatch) or in much rarer cases a loose coupling on the stock above the rudder. Tony Brooks

theoldgoat
theoldgoat

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:20pm

Hi Tony, many thanks, the boat is a Durham Castle class could you advise on a possible solution Regards The Old Goat

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:34pm

1. With the tiller straight ahead stand at the back of the boat and visually line the swan-neck up with a vertical on the boat like the cabin side. If they are not parallel then the stock has probably fallen out of the skeg. Check via the weed hatch. 2. leaning over the back of the boat or from the bank grab the upstand on the rudder. Get someone to hold the tiller tightly and the try to wag the rudder from side to side. If you can wag it without the tiller moving get the boat out of the water for further inspection. 3. Grasp the boss where the swan-neck is fixed to the rudder stock. Try to wag it sideways and fore & aft. If you can the upper bearing (if fitted) needs replacing. I am afraid that unlike cars where most manufacturers follow similar practises the narrowboat builders are far more diverse so telling me the builder is little help. Either consult the builders if they are still around to find out the details of the rudder design or have the boat slipped/docked/lifted so you can take photos for me, but while doing that the yard will be able to sort it for you. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.