Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
peterlj
peterlj

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:00pm

Post Subject: Boat insulation

Hi Tony, I am helping my friend to fit out the shell of a 57ft narrowboat.We have now reached a point where we need to insulate the boat. The question is simple..do we pay £1000 + for spray foam or do we fit 2in thick styroform style insulation which we can cut to size ourselves and due to a contact save a chunk of cash? Is there a great difference?.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:10pm

Post Subject: Boat insulation

If you mean expanded polystyrene foam then be aware it is/was available in a form that was flammable and that produces poison fumes when burnt. Nowadays you can get self extinguishing foam. If I was using sheet material nowadays I would use one of the Kingspan or Celotex products When using sheet materials it is important to get a good bond onto the hull and seal any gaps with spray foam. Then all joints should be sealed with aluminium tape to prevent condensation forming on the hull between insulation and hull side. I would advise that you finish the insulation at or slightly below floor level so that unless you sink the boat it can not absorb water from the bilge. When done well spray foam should bond to the hull so avoid any condensation problems however hundreds of boats have bee built with polystyrene sheet insulation with few problems. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.