Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Herencia
Herencia

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:12am

Post Subject: Protecting the cabin superstructure from tunnel damage.

We are the proud owners of Herencia, a boat built by Stuart Cole of Delph Narrowboats. We moor at Crick and enjoy the tranquillity of the summit level of the Leicester Line. The nadir of my boating is negotiating Husbands Bosworth Tunnel. If I have to pass another boat, more often than not, I sustain paintwork damage to the cabin handrails. The problem is that the tumble-home of the boat is not as great as that of the tunnel. The wooden rubbing strakes at gunwhale level are superfluous. We are considering having a complete repaint but wonder if attaching brass rubbing strakes, either an L cross-section or two closely applied flat strips would take the impact of contact and protect the paintwork? Should these be bedded on mastic and are there risks of corrosion with the apposition of two dissimilar metals? It would seem to me that protection of the paintwork would avoid disfiguring damage to the paintwork which is time-consuming and tedious to rectify. I keep losing paint in areas which I have previously repaired. Any thoughts would be gratefully received, thank you.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:06pm

Unless you can tell me more about the hand rails and the the material the cabin top and rails are made fro, also how it is attached I can not answer. If your rails are flat, inverted Ls then I can see no reason not to fit a similar brass section drilled and tapped into the existing rails or even attached with setscrews and nuts. I have no idea what the mastic is for unless you want to keep water out of the joint so that is your call. If there is a galvanic reaction then the brass will de-zinc and turn pink. Probably around the fixings. The zinc in the bass will act like an anode. Tony Brooks

Herencia
Herencia

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:20am

Dear Tony, Thank you for your very prompt reply. The handrailsa re integral to the cabin superstructure. They are of steel with a box section profile which projects above the roof but is integral to superstructure ie. the cabin sides continue upwards and the inner wall of the handrail forms a rainwater gutter the length of the boat. The suggestion of mastic was not to prevent water ingress but to avoid the possibility of corrosion of the steel underneath but I bow to your superior knowledge that this is unecessary.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:39pm

If steel or iron is exposed to water and oxygen then it will rust. This is why we paint our steel boats. If the paint film on the steel that will be under the brass angle is in good condition and if adequate steps are taken to stop water getting under the brass via the fixings then rust should not be a major problem, but just like under the window frames, I expect given time rust will appear. If you fill any gaps between the steel and brass with mastic (not silicon because of painting problems) then no water should be able to get in so no rust. I would be harder for oxygen to get in as well. If you are able get the brass as one long strip because every joint is a potential catch point where the tunnel could rip the brass off or at least badly bend it. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.