Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
colcart
colcart

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:28pm

Post Subject: Roof hole cutting

We are installing a wood burner in our narrow boat and the insulated flue supplied is 165mm. The maximum hole the local boatyard can cut is 6 inch (152mm). They have suggested using a plasma cutter but we are worried about having to remove the wooden ceiling. The boat is made of steel. What would be the best way to get the hole cut and can you suggest anybody in the surrey area (river Wey) who could do the job? Many thanks Colin

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:11pm

Post Subject: Roof hole cutting

As the hole should be totally covered from above by the collar flange and bellow by the insulated insert that replaces some of the wooden roof lining I do not see why it can not be chain drilled or carefully cut with a jigsaw using a well lubricated/cooled metal blade. That is how I did mine. I suspect the boatyard do not really want the job. I only know of Farncombe Boathouse and the yard by Byfleet Cruising Club. I have no idea if Pyrford Marina have an engineer. If all else fails talk to Uxbridge Boat Centre but that would cost you 2xEA licenses and a temporary BW one. I trust a significant area of the wooden ceiling is to be replaced by something fire resistant so providing steps are taken to protect everything in the area below the hole I can not see why a plasma cutter could not be used. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.64 seconds.