Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
David
David

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:27pm

Post Subject: Gearbox

I have a Hurth gearbox coupled to a Vetus M4.14. When I select reverse all is well, however when I select forward, it won't engage unless I rev the motor then reduce the revs until it audibly engages. The oil level is o.k. Is this fixable by some adjustment? Regards, David

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:48pm

Post Subject: Gearbox

Disconnect the cable from the the gear box lever and try using the lever itself to select the gear. If it works then check the gear cable is fitted to the hole in the arm inside the control that gives maximum throw. Then try adjusting the cable to give ahead, neutral and reverse. If that is not successful (and I doubt it will be one a Hurth) then I fear it is a gearbox strip job. I suspect the ahead clutch is worn but it may be something loose inside. Sorry. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.