Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
7912bob
7912bob

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:09pm

Post Subject: Loss of hot water

I have a BMC engine with Bowman heat exchanger and an external raw water pump. Recently the hose from the thermostat blew. After replacement the engine runs fine all external hoses feel hot including the feed to the calrifier but I have no hot water to the boat, I have opened some of the hoses and there doesnt seem to be a lot of pressure. The Bowman/cylinder head joint weepsslightly and I think the head gasket is on its way out, any ideas? Ta Bob

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:54pm

Post Subject: Loss of hot water

Dear Bob It sounds as if you have air in the engine - calorifier circuit so the engine water is not moving through the caloriofier coil. I have separated each instruction by a clear line but I suspect the forum software will run it all into one, so print the following out so you understand what I am saying. Mix A 50% antifreeze mixture in a watering can. Find the rubber hoses that are about 5/8 to 3/4 inch in diameter that run to and from the calorifier. You are interested in the one that does NOT connect to the cylinder head, but joins the cooling system where it runs into the engine water pump. Slacken that union and make sure you can remove the hose. Remove the coolant filler cap. Set the engine to about 1000rpm. Remove the connection and instantly put your thumb over the engine side of the connection to stop coolant leaking out. Watch the flow from the open end of the hose. I suspect you will suddenly see a spurt of air. Make sure someone is topping up the system while you do this. When no more air flows from the hose refit it and tighten it. I think you will find the problem is solved. I am not going to comment on the head gasket, but I suspect its OK.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.