Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
osullipe
osullipe

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:57pm

Post Subject: Solar cell trickle feed over winter

I have 5 x110 amp domestic batteries and 1 x 120amp battery. I have to return to Australia for 3 months from start of December and am considering solar cells to preserve battery life during this time. What size do I need and do I need two - one for domestic and one for starter?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:49pm

Post Subject: Solar cell trickle feed over winter

I would suggest that you invest in a QUALITY solar regulator that has two outputs (beware of apparent Ebay type bargains). Ideally an MPPT one but for your use I am sure PWM ones will do just as well. I find 60 watts or panel enough to recharge a 330Ah bank from maybe half discharged and then keep them charged over the winter so I would suggest anything over 100 watts but if you make sure the bank is more or less fully charged before you leave then 40 to 60 watts should be OK. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.