Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
theshawz
theshawz

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:48am

Post Subject: increase in engine revs

Hi Tony, I ran my engine to charge the batteries, which I do every day as I am a continuous cruiser. Quite a lot of smoke is emitted on start up then occasionally the revs will increase 3 or 4 hundred revs for a few seconds and then return to what is was. This occurs with the gearbox engaged or disengaged.This is the first time that this has occured. I know the revs increase when you run out of diesel so could this be the ingress of water in the diesel do you think? I have a tank which is about half full at the moment - 100 litres. thanks Terry.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:11am

Post Subject: increase in engine revs

The only engines that can be relied upon to rev themselves up when they are partially starved of fuel are those that use a hydraulically governed DPA pump so would your engine be a BMC 1.x? When did you last drain your tank of water (assuming it has a drain plug or you can suck from the top)? Do you have a sdeimentor and agglomerator (water traps) fitted or even just one of those? When your fuel filter was last changed was its contents inspected for signs of water & bug? If the engine uses an AC type lift pump (as most BMCs do) when was the strainer under the cap last checked? It could be some form of blockage (including a a lot of water in the filter) or an air leak into the system. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.