Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
hobbyhorse
hobbyhorse

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:47pm

Post Subject: Conneting Solar Controller to batteries

Dear Tony, I am about to fit a solar panel to my boat to ensure that my new batteries are kept fully charged when the boat in not in use. The battery management system already has a modern battery charger, which only works when hooked up to a land line supply. The tails from the battery charger connect to a terminal block and from there wires run to the batteries in the engine compartment. Would it be acceptable to connect the tails from the solar controller to the same terminals that the tails from the battery charger are connected, thus saving having to run new wires from the controller to the batteries? Len Palfrey

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:44pm

Post Subject: Conneting Solar Controller to batteries

I can see nothing wrong with that providing the charger has a higher rated output than the solar setup. However with or without solar any such lead should be protected by a suitable fuse as close as practical to the battery connection so a short circuit between battery and charger or controller does not set fire to the boat. I hope the charger lead is so fused but if it is not it is safer to fit one. Do not fit a larger fuse than the cables current rating and that includes the solar tails so you may have to use larger ones so the charger cable fuse is still within the cable's current rating. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.