Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
gentry
gentry

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:02am

Post Subject: kiwis on the canal

We are looking at renting a canal boat next year,but a few queries(1).when parked up for the night do you have to pay mooring fees. (2)if near a town or village is it safe to leave your boat to go shopping or sightseeing (3)this will be a one of trip for 2 and want to do say a 10 day circuit of a really nice canal,so your thoughts please ,we will be of high season maybe April or September ,thanks Lyn

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:37am

1. On the majority of canals there is no fee to moor but there are areas with maximum length of stay. On canals you can moor anywhere on the towpath side that you find possible apart from the few places that have a notice that say differently and at lock or swing bridge landings. River banks are not owned by the navigation authority so mooring on rivers is more difficult and the owners often demand a charge. This includes many town councils. 2 By and large yes it is safe to leave your boat providing you assess the area first. I doubt this is any different in Australia. However there is always a small chance you could suffer a break in. Although rare you are more likley to suffer abuse or stone throwing from youths on the bank/bridges but all of this is rare and we may go two or three years between anti-social incidents of a minor nature. In any case it seems to peak during July & August. 3 I trust that other readers will chip in and tell you their opinions but nearly any canal is nice. Do not get too hung up on doing a circular route. When going out and back you get a different view on the return. Much depends upon how much of the UK you have already visited and any areas you would like to visit. Are you looking for a rural holiday or do you like more built up areas? If you give us some idea about that I am sure readers will make suggestions. Tony Brooks

gentry
gentry

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:46pm

Thanks Tony. No particular area but would prefer a ring of 10 days, and big cities dont interest us.Have probably seen more of England than most British and find its all beautiful.but have never been on a canal.one other problem is getting from London to the start point

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:42am

That rules out the London ring then and the Thames/Grand union/Oxford ring will probably take more than 10 days. There are a number of hire bases within a sensible taxi journey of Rugby station so the Warwickshire ring could be a choice. There is a hire base at Worcester, again a short taxi journey from the station which opens up the rings involving the Severn, Staffs & Worcester, Birmingham navigations and the Worcester & Birmingham canal. I have done the shorter version of this one in a week with two lock wheelers to help so 10 days should be fine. I do not know the more northern canals or the proximity of hire bases to main line stations so we must ask our readers to help. Have you found this map? http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/mwp.php?wpage =Inland-Waterways-of-England.htm Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.