Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
rmbullock
rmbullock

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:43pm

Post Subject: Locking Diesel Fuel Caps

With the increase in fuel prices has come an upsurge of incidences of fuel being stolen from tanks outside homes. I am sure it won't be long before thieves 'tap in' to moored and unattended narrowboats. Please can you advise me on where I can buy a locking diesel fuel cap for my narrowboat, or is it just a case of finding a car one to fit? Thank you Ruth Bullock

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:37pm

Post Subject: Locking Diesel Fuel Caps

Dear Ruth I have never seen a locking fuel cap for a boat, but this does not mean they do not exist. Cars all tend to use a very similar size and type of cap, but boats use several different designs in a variety of sizes, so things are not so straight forward. If you have one of the "flush" fillers where a male cap screws into a female housing then you could fit an ordinary hasp,staple & padlock across it similar to those often fitted to sheds. The hull/deck would require drilling and tapping to accept setscrews and also make sure that the screws are well sealed because you will probably be drilling into the top of the tank and you will not want water leaking in. If the filler has a female cap screwing onto a male thread and it all looks as if it has escaped from a plumbers' merchant then I would drill and tap the side of the cap to accept a security screw, then fit the cap and mark through the hole. Drill an oversized hole in the filler neck. You would have to carry a special security screw bit to undo and retighten the screw, but any thief would probably simply go and look for an easier target. If you have a proper brass marine raised filler then I do not know what you can do. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.34 seconds.