Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:38pm

Post Subject: Batteries

Hi Tony, advice on batteries please, due to age 2 out of my 3 110ah leisure batteries require replacing how ever i am going start a fresh and put 3 new ones on, due to the batteries location it's not that easy to check the electrolite in 2 of the batteries ( they are situated under the gunnel in the engine room ) so it's a case of using a mirror and torch to inspect the cells,my supplier has suggested fitting sealed batteries, they are slightly dearer than the open cell type but apart from the obvious ( not having to check the electrolite in a sealed battery) whats your opinion on sealed units. It's only when we are cruising do i rely on the alternator to charge them, when we are on our mooring i have 240v supply and the batteries are being charged via a "smart" battery charger, when away from the boat a solar panel is used to keep them topped up. Thank's, Alan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:27pm

I have to be careful here because one engine mariniser has taken to fitting alternators with a high charging voltage so the best advice is to measure the charging voltage with well charged batteries and the engine revving. Unless the poor batteries are short circuiting that should tell you the regulated volatge. Then get written details for the maximum charging volatge of the new batteries band make sure it will not be exceeded. My guess is that unless you were constantly topping up the old batteries when they were in good condition the regulated voltage will be between 14 and 14.4 volts. This should be fine for sealed batteries that are only slightly dearer than open cells(rather than very much dearer!). If you did have to keep topping the open cell batteries up when in good condition then you may well damage the sealed ones but much depends upon the technology employs in each type. The normal recommendation to use wet open cell batteries is based on cost effectiveness not outright life so a very small premium for sealed is acceptable in your case. Tony Brooks

alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:05pm

Hi again Tony and thanks for your reply. When i first noticed i had a problem with my batteries i checked the output from my alternator and it read at 14.1v, i have today taken it to my local auto electrical work shop and was checked on their test bed and it confirmed my reading of 14v, they also confirmed that with the alternator testing at extremely fast speed ( which could not be reached by my 1991 1.5 BMC ) that my 75A alternator was producing around 60 to 70a.The highest i have seen it read when first thing in the morning when the batteries had been used the night before was around 29 to 30a, I decided to get my alternator checked before i invested in any more batteries regardless of what type i purchased. Reference to my old batteries, having to keep topping them up was not an issue, appart from the occasional maintanace top up. It seems like i may be going down the sealed battery road, they come with the same 2 year guarentee as the wet cell type and there is only around £20 difference in price, if this stops me from grovelling around on my belly and cracking my head in the engine room then in my humble opinion it's worth paying the difference, thank's again , Alan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:44am

It would well be worthwhile investigating the availability of a smaller pulley for your alternator. If you can get one it would help your charging at lower engine speeds but it would make the use of a notched alternator belt (sort of teeth on the inside) almost mandatory. Tony Brooks

alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:26pm

Hi again Tony, thank's for your suggestion of a smaller pulley on my alternator, the one i have on it at the moment measures two and half inches across Ex Dia, What's your thoughts on this pulley, would a smaller one than this be robust enough and last the pace, or even be available, Alan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:01pm

I think I have seen a smaller pulley made from a casting or machined form solid metal. That would be fine strength wise. i am not so sure about one fabricated from pressed "tin" though but I have not seen a small one made like that. Just remember a smaller pulley will give the belt more to do but I can not say by how much it will shorten the belt life and adjustment periods. If it improved the charging at canal speed any drawbacks may well be worthwhile. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.