Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Broughton
Broughton

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:16pm

Post Subject: Fuel connection to deisel stove

I'm fitting a Bubble diesel stove and it's not possible to make a seperate fuel connection at the top/ near top of the main fuel tank to feed the stove so would it be OK to take a feed from the engine fuel filter instead? If so then from which connection at the filter (inlet or outlet) would be best? With a common fuel line I'm a little concerned the engine might draw fuel from the stove line and then possibly draw air. But perhaps in practice the head of pressure fom the main fuel tank will override any tendency for the engine to draw from the stove line.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:32pm

Post Subject: Fuel connection to deisel stove

I consider this proposal very bad practise for the reason you mention. I also do not know why it is not possible to get a separate fuel take off fitted into the fuel tank, although it will have a cost. Normally these things are arranged so that the heater take off is higher than the engine take off. This ensure the heater can not totally run you out of fuel. Many modern engines return very significant volumes of fuel to the tank so at low speed the lift pump may not be able to keep up with the return, the engine's needs and the heater. The stove's fuel supply has no pump and is gravity fed so if I was going to try what you suggest I would supply the stove from the lift pump side of the filter but unless your lift pump is an electric one the stove may not get any fuel without the engine running. However you do it it is try it and see. I know some such stoves have been Td of the main fuel supply line before the engine lift pump. If this is a conventional narrowboat I would try that but it may make bleeding the engine difficult because air could be sucked back from the stove. How likley this is depends upon where the fuel tank take off exit is, top or bottom. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.