Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:40pm

Post Subject: bubble test valve

When my boat was BSC tested recently, the examiner advised considering fitting a bubble test valve to the gas system. When I mentioned this to a colleague who is also a boat owner, he replied that he too was intending to fit one to his boat until he asked the engineer at his boatyard who advised against saying that in his opinion they were potentially dangerous! Have you experienced any problems or heard of any incidents attributable to these valves? Thanks.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:58am

Post Subject: bubble test valve

They involve extra connections in the gas system, which paradoxically the BSS are against in other situations, and they require a see through cover of some sort. I have heard of those breaking but it is not a significant risk if they are correctly installed and protected. The examiner was only quoting the BSS unless he is Gassafe registered for boat work in which case there could be another explanation. I am neutral on the subject but when I am away from the boat with the gas turned off for as day or two I always check that the red "flag" (showing low gas pressure)has not appeared. If it had done it would indicate a leak. Note: It is usually showing after several weeks away from the boat. I also physically check the gas pipes, joint, and flexibles once a year. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 42.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 2. Total Runtime: 0.75 seconds.