Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Jol238
Jol238

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:46pm

Post Subject: Electrics & Solar Charge

Hello, I am a bit of a boat novice, but have cut into the electrical circuit for the interior lights on the boat and installed a "cigarette lighter" type socket. If I plug a solar charger into this while the boat is moored, will it charge the leisure battery?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:05am

Post Subject: Electrics & Solar Charge

Before I answer your question please go onto tb-training.co.uk and read about cable sizing and fuse selection in the electrical notes you will find on that site. The answer depends upon the size of panel. If its a £20 job then it may overcome the batteries self discharge. If it is 40 watts plus then it will charge the batteries but may overcharge them unless you also have a controller. It will not charge the batteries if you turn the master switch off. Much also depends upon how you use the boat. A £20 panel will be no use for a livaboard but would help further battery deterioration if you leave your boat moored up while you are at home over the winter. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.