Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
favours
favours

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:05pm

Post Subject: Treating rust on a stove pipe

I need to repaint the stove pipe from my Morso fire, however there are areas of surface rust, especially on the weld joints. Other than rubbing down as well as I can are there any rust convertors/primers available that will with stand the heat generated?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:56pm

Fortan MIGHT but many others seem to have some kind of latex or PVA base. One of the products like the old Jenolite or Naval Jelly that dissolve rather than convert the rust should be OK but I would not bother. I just rub the pipe down and re-paint with heat resistant paint. It might be an idea to repaint each spring when you are done with the stove so it is protected during the summer. Tony Brooks Personally I would not bother. I would just rub it down

favours
favours

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:37pm

Thanks Tony will do as you suggest and see how well it lasts.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.