Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
andynb
andynb

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:25pm

Post Subject: navigating from lydney to sharpness

Hello all, My first post so please excuse any mistakes or the general nature of this query. I am currently looking at alternative living options, i have always liked the thought of a canal boat. I know this can sometimes be a dream but i am sure it would suit me as i really dont like big houses etc. I live in lydney which has a historic doc with mooring facilities which is fed by the river lyd. I have enquied to the environment agency about residential moorings and also wild mooring options. I need to be located at a more permanent site for my kids for about the next 5 years, one of my concerns and i have many is how to get a canal boat into the main inland water ways from lydney, lydney docks is almost opposite sharpness but crossing the severn in canal boat looks interesting to say least, has anyone any experience of this. Thanks in advance Andy

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:04pm

Before you even think about going onto BW/CaRT waters please get hold of the requirements they place on people who do not have an official mooring. Your need to stay in one place will make it all but impossible to meet these conditions. Narrowboats travel from Sharpness to Bristol every year so as long as you book a pilot or get to know a very experienced local boater who will accompany you AND take their advice as to when to cross it should be perfectly possible but you need to ensure your boat is fit for the passage with all the safety equipment required and clean fuel filters and a well cleaned fuel tank. It would also be a very good idea to find somewhere that you can run flat out for an hour or so (NOT the Bristol Channel) because far too many canal boat are fitted with inadequate cooling systems. I think a convoy might be organised occasionally, perhaps you could join one of those. Now over to any readers who have done the trip. Tony Brooks

andynb
andynb

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:31pm

Thanks Tony, there are official moorings at lydney which for a 40 ft craft is about 40Gbp a month. There are a few boats there which seldom seem to move. Not to sure about mooring rules i.e. as lydney dock/marina is very underused could i just keep paying month on month. I have made enquiries to the environment agency as i wont contemplate moving forward without a secure mooring future. Thanks Andy

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.