Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Lois_DK
Lois_DK

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:29pm

Post Subject: Legislation for 16 year old buying Canal boat & London mooring?

At 16 you can move into a house with parental consent but I have found no information about boats? I've got parental consent and money for boat, insurance, license & mooring.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:26pm

Post Subject: Legislation for 16 year old buying Canal boat & London mooring?

I think this depends upon the age at which you can enter into a legally binding contract and I seem to remember the age varies according to what the contract is for. I have a feeling that tools of a trade and obtaining a home might have a lower age than other things. However I studied contract law about 50 years ago. Best talk to CaRT (was BW) if you it is for CaRT waters, The Port of London Authority if it is for the Thames below Teddington or the EA for the Thames above Teddington. My guess is that as long as you pay in advance they will not be too worried. However you also need to discuss this with the mooring operator if it is not one of the above. Again I suspect payment in advance will solve a lot of issues. Just be aware that someone may demand a parental guarantee if you propose monthly payments or some such. Also be aware that third party and salvage insurance is mandatory on CaRT & EA waters. I suspect that is going to be your biggest problem. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.