Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
rogerjohns
rogerjohns

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:29pm

Post Subject: oil leak on prm geargox

Hi ive got an oil leak which seems to be coming from the output shaft ? My question is can this shaft be removed with gearbox still in the boat or does the box need to be removed and stripped down ? Forgot to say its a PRM Delta 30. thnks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:31pm

I very much doubt that the shaft can be removed from the box, but why would you want to. This is probably a failed oil seal running on and extension to the gearbox half coupling so (without access to a diagram) I would have thought removing the half coupling, hooking the seal out and pushing a new one back in and the refitting the coupling is all that is required. The biggest problem will be holding the half coupling so you can undo the securing nut and finding out if it is a left or right hand thread. Tony Brooks

rogerjohns
rogerjohns

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:50pm

Hi Tony Thanks for your reply i have diagram just wanted to know if anyone has had problem ? think i better contact PRM .

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:52am

You can not remove the output shaft on a vertically split PRM box without separating the two halves but even if I am wrong about the oil seal running on part of the coupling I think that once the coupling is off you should be able to change the seal. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.