Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
osullipe
osullipe

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:55pm

Post Subject: Winterise Webasto central heating

Am leaving boat for three months at end of month. Central heating system is with coolant/ antifreeze but have been advised I should drain to avoid split radiators etc. How do I do this as manual is silent on this? Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:26am

I suggest that you redirect this question to whoever told you that. Providing your antifreeze content is between about 20 & 50% and it is within its life there is no need to drain. It will not freeze unless you are in the Arctic, Antarctic or (say) the Russian Steps. If you have exceeded the antifreeze life it will still act as antifreeze but its corrosion inhibitors may be depleted so it needs changing. First you need to find out if your system has an open header tank or is sealed with expansion/pressure vessel(s). If the latter get professional help. If the former locate the drain fitting that I hope the boat fitter has installed and out a hose onto it. Unscrew the tap/plug to drain the liquid. When the system is empty you may wish to flush through with clean water and re-drain. Then pre-mix 30% antifreeze and water and fill the system into the header tank and bleed the radiators. If your fitter did not fit a drain plug all I can suggest is that you loosen the lowest pipe fitting to drain the system into containers and then fit a drain at that point. Tony Brooks

osullipe
osullipe

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:56pm

Thanks Tony. If there is an unlocatable leak in the Webasto, what's your view on 'stop leak ' products that are available. Leak is minor and whilst not a lomg term solution, could buy some time whilst locating same.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:44am

I can not see them doing much harm on the radiators and pipework but if they form "floating scabs" inside the system I am not sure how the Webasto circulating pump and combustion heat exchanger would cope. The words unstoppable and Webasto make me uneasy and wonder if the heat exchanger has perforated. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.60 seconds.