Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
coldor
coldor

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:59am

Post Subject: extending weed hatch

Hi from a complete newbie. We've just had the result of the survey on a narrowboat we've made an offer for and all is fine except that the weed hatch needs to be extended upwards by 2 inches for insurance purposes. How easily can this be done and roughly how long should it take, please? Thanks very much, coldor

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:18am

First of all I would want to be sure it is your insurance company that demanded the extension and not a surveyor with ties to a boatyard. Whilst there is a minimum distance between the waterline and hull openings I was not aware that this was mandatory for a non-CE marked boat. If the boat is CE marked then I fear the RCD certificate could be fraudulent in that the hull does not comply with the free-board requirement but your surveyor should have warned you about this. It is an offence to sell a boat less that 5 years old that does not comply with the RCD so take care here. Now to answer your question. It will all depend on access for the welder. I can think of some Trad designed boats where I would deliberately price myself out of the job whilst some cruiser sterns may only take a couple of hours. That is an hour to cut the metal and an hour to weld it up. It all depends upon the design of the boat. I expect the welder will simply extend the trunk of the weed hatch. They may cut the flange off the existing trunk, weld a box section on and the reattach the flange or they may make a new flange. I would comment that if the free-board is bad enough to require an extra 2 inches welding on the boat might have to be taken form the water. If the hull has been over-plated then (depending upon how the cabin flooring is fixed) it might be easier to remove ballast as it may be if the previous owner has over ballasted the boat. Tony Brooks

coldor
coldor

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:04am

Thanks very much, Tony, all you say noted and I'll let you know how we get on. She's not CE-marked & there's a non-working (ornamental?) Stratford 1910 stove in the stern which could be the cause. We're going to get rid of it anyway which could resolve the problem. Thanks again for your help, Colin

coldor
coldor

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:04am

Thanks very much, Tony, all you say noted and I'll let you know how we get on. She's not CE-marked & there's a non-working (ornamental?) Stratford 1910 stove in the stern which could be the cause. We're going to get rid of it anyway which could resolve the problem. Thanks again for your help, Colin

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.