Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
VikingAl
VikingAl

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:07am

Post Subject: ANTIFREEZE IN THORNEYCROFT 80D

I am trying to top up the antifreeze in my Thorneycroft 80D engine which has a skin tank. The hydrometer (which is a cheap one) is saying it is weak and so over the past couple of weeks I have put 10 litres of antifreeze in. However this still doesn't seem adequate as it's still reading weak. To get the 10 litres in, which I did 5 litres at a time, on different days, I removed the hose, coming from the bottom of the skin tank, from where it fits onto the connection to the oil cooler (see photo). This seemed the easiest place to drain from and trying to judge about 5 litres of water coming out. Obviously for the second 5 litres I was letting out a weak solution but topping up with a concentrated solution. Does this seem a reasonable way to do it? The drain tap on the engine is just a slow dribble and would take forever. I know all skin tanks are different but it looks like I will have to keep doing this till I get a correct mixture of antifreeze (which isn't cheap). Many thanks for any advice.

ANTIFREEZE IN THORNEYCROFT 80D
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:37am

Post Subject: ANTIFREEZE IN THORNEYCROFT 80D

I have read all three of your posts and this is more in reply to your question in the last one. Before we address the actual question it is important that you understand that so called antifreeze also inhibits corrosion inside the cooling system and it is that function that gets depleted with time. So unless you have a known leak that is now cured and the remaining antifreeze is within its "life" you should change the antifreeze at regular intervals. 2, or 5 or more years depending upon the type and specification of the antifreeze you buy. The antifreeze properties tend not to deteriorate. Unless you had run the engine for many, many hours after filling the engine with antifreeze I doubt it has mixed so most of the antifreeze was still in the engine or had all be circulated into the skin tank but not mixed. Hence my advice to fill alternate quantities of water and antifreeze. You may also may have had an airlock in the system that prevented the antifreeze mixing. It is not always just a matter of pouring the antifreeze and water into the system, sometimes hoses and pipe runs have to be manipulated to help vent air. As far as The engine drain tap is concerned I think you should remove it when the system is drained down so you can clear the inevitable muck from both itself and hole in the engine block. Tony Brooks PS Photos direct to Tony@TB-Training.co.uk please so I can see them full size but please email first in case I am on mobile broadband.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.