Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stevew
stevew

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:22pm

Post Subject: boat size

iam looking for a boat that i can live aboard but cannot decide on the size.Iwill be going solo and iam wondering about handling on your own perhaps you could give me some idea thanks Steve

stevew
stevew

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:23pm

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:34pm

Dear Steve I am going to assume that you are talking about an inland boat and probably a narrow boat because 70ft sea boats are probably ex commercial craft and would be difficult for one person to handle at sea or on large estuaries. Once you have a bit of experience and as long as you are able bodied you should be able to joint the many who single hand full size ex working boats and modern leisure boats of any size. Just plan each locking and take your time. I have no problems single handing a 54ft narrow boat although broad locks are not as easy as narrow ones. What I would advise is that you take a boat handling course (our own Terry of TR Boat Handling seems to be well thought of)and, more importantly, sort out your mooring before you buy the boat. Approved residential moorings are as readily available as rocking horse dung and expensive. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.